Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Holiday run down

Well, It's the 2nd day after the holiday season and it actually was a pretty quiet few weeks. I started shopping early so when the big snow storm hit the week before Christmas I was already done with all the food and gift shopping. The snow started on a Saturday and we got out and walked around the following day. David spent nearly 5 hours digging out the cars but worked from home on Monday. Henry, Addie and I stayed home all week except for the quick outing to the grocery store on Christmas Eve morning. We picked up some last minute goodies and then came home and I waited patiently (and not so patiently) for David to get home. Addie was fussy that day and my plan of getting the house super clean and making fabulous snacks for Christmas Eve didn't happen. When David got home I had to rush and get things together as fast as possible. Luckily, I had gone to Trader Joe's and stocked up on some frozen party foods (mini crab cakes, mini mushroom turnovers,etc). I pulled together a cheese platter and we called it dinner and it was just lovely. Addie slept while we three sat at the table and enjoyed the food and peace and quiet. When Addie woke up we opened a few presents from family members and put cookies and soy milk out for Santa. We got Henry to bed around 9pm. I was so glad I had wrapped all the gifts during our snowed in week b/c I was exhausted on Christmas Eve. Luckily, Henry is still too young to be super excited about the whole Christmas morning and he slept in till normal time--7am. I also should mention that Henry plays the whole Santa game but a week before Christmas he informed me Santa wasn't real but just a story. He went into detail about how Santa doesn;t really live at the north Pole and reindeers do not fly. I just nodded and said okay and am happy that he still plays the game since I like the game but don;t like to push it too much. Opening presents in our house was a long process. It's not that we buy alot but Henry spends a good deal of time looking at each gift. I really thought we picked out some great gifts this year and Henry was really exited. It took about 6 hours to get through Christmas morning. We stopped for some food and drink breaks but for the most part those hours were spent next to the tree. I had the stockings downstairs in our family room and Henry didn't even notice those until late afternoon. Those gifts he tore open quickly and it may have been late afternoon giddiness but I swear the biggest squeal of the day came when he saw the mini-M&M's in his stocking.
We had a very quiet week between x-mas and new years but then new years day my brother Matt drove down from NJ with his daughter Melanie. Henry was so excited to see his cousin Melanie. Melanie and Henry are cut from the same cloth. They see a piece of paper, pick it up and say it's a clue and start reading it. Usually about a ghost or some crazy mystery to be solved. Even though Melanie is 6, Henry has no problem keeping up with her. Actually, It was so wonderful seeing Henry with someone that can keep up with him and entertain him and challenge him. We plan on getting them together more often. I wish I could find a buddy like that around here. Plan on updating this blog soon with some Addie stuff. She's just so different than Henry at this age. I am really having a blast with her.

Pictures

No comments: